India steps up health sector engagement with Triangular Development PartnershipPosted on: February 07, 2024 | | Back | Print
Embassy of India
India steps up health sector engagement with Triangular Development Partnership
A delegation led by the Indian National Health Authority (NHA) and comprising of representatives from the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) and the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) is visiting Manila from 5th to 9th February, 2024 as part of a Triangular Development Partnership (TriDeP) programme. TriDeP is a programme aimed at enhancing development cooperation in the Indo-Pacific and achieving shared goals for the development of the region between India and the US, co-created by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and is implemented by The Asia Foundation (TAF).
2. The National Health Authority (NHA), Government of India, is the lead implementing partner along with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Mohali, as technical partner to support the learning and knowledge sharing on Digital-Health and Telemedicine activities with Philippines. The Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) under NHA, aims to develop the backbone to support the integrated digital health infrastructure of the country. The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India, is the apex centre for mental health and neuroscience education in India.
3. The focus areas for collaboration between India and the Philippines during the visit will be telemedicine and psychosocial facilities.
4. A four-member delegation from the Department of Health (DoH), Philippines had visited India in Nov-Dec 2023 during which NHA actively supported a detailed session on India’s digital public health infrastructure especially Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM). A visit to Scan and Share model at Charak Palika Hospital was also facilitated by NHA. Additionally, the delegation was also exposed to e-Sanjeevani, India’s telemedicine program, at CDAC Mohali, including the technical and operational aspects. The DOH officials also had a chance to visit National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) campus in Bengaluru, to learn about psychosocial care and support services during and after disasters.
5. The current delegation from NHA, ABDM and NIMHANS, along with 3 delegates from Asia Foundation, New Delhi will be in Philippines for five-days and visit various telemedicine and psychosocial facilities. The main objective of the visit is to study and understand the Philippine telehealth and mental health care landscape through various executive meetings with DOH departmental heads, health officials and stakeholder consultations with both public and private agencies working in these areas.
6. During this visit the delegation will have courtesy meetings, learning sessions, and stakeholder consultations with DOH – Health Emergency Management Bureau to understand the integrated disaster response, preparedness for health emergencies, resource mobilization, and coordination with various government agencies. There will be a site visit to the Operations Center of the Bureau for an immersion in the country’s coordination and command system during disasters. They will also look into how digital health is integrated into the disaster response of the Philippines. In addition, there will be learning sessions on the policy and legal frameworks governing telemedicine implementation in the Philippines. On February 9, 2024, the delegation will undertake visit to Western Visayas Medical Center, Iloilo City.
7. The visit will help customize a learning program for a larger delegation of health officials from Philippines, which is planned for March/April 2024, so as to move towards early rolling out/implementation of the telemedicine and psychosocial care projects in the Philippines.
Composition of delegation
1. Mr. Vipin Kumar Singh, Director, Information Technology and Contract Management,
2. Dr. Akshay Jain, Joint Director, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM), NHA
3. Dr. Christy Jayakumar, Additional Professor, Department of Psychosocial Support in
Disaster Management, NIMHANS
4. Dr. Damodharan Dinakaran, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychosocial Support in
Disaster Management, NIMHANS
5. Ms. Sheeja Nair, Chief, TriDeP
6. Ms. Puja Negi, Senior Program Officer, TriDeP
7. Ms. Anupama Sharma, Consultant, Health, TriDeP